Spread the love this Valentine’s Day with a kid-friendly craft
Feb. 1, 2022
These homemade valentines make the perfect gift, too!
Valentine’s Day just begs to incorporate pink, red and glitter into a day full of DIY adventures! As a new mom who is not exactly considered “crafty,” I can assure you that this project is so easy that even an infant can do it. To prove it, I tasked my five-month-old daughter, Rowyn, with creating homemade valentines.
One of the things I was most looking forward to after becoming a mother was discovering creative ways to keep my daughter entertained. This mess-free, tactile sensory activity can easily be incorporated into tummy time to help encourage your child to practice their motor skills. Bonus perk: it is fun for all ages with easy-to-find materials.
Here is what you need:
- Canvas or white cardstock paper (We opted for a pack of 12 x 12 canvases which was $12.99 at Michaels)
- Washable or non-toxic acrylic paint (We used three different colors: red, pink and white)
- Large Ziplock bag
- Glitter (optional, but encouraged)
- Use the various colors to randomly add drops across the canvas or cardstock
- Place the canvas or cardstock in the large Ziplock bag
- Gently encourage your child to push the paint around with their hands
- Add glitter—lots of glitter
What Valentine’s Day crafts are you creating this year? Share with us on Twitter by tagging @ArizonaEducator or using #AZPBSKIDS. Happy crafting!
By: Morgan Bircher