Buddy Holly: Listen To Me – The Ultimate Buddy Party
Dec. 6, 2011
Buddy Holly: Listen to Me – The Ultimate Buddy Party, is an extraordinary concert event held at The Music Box in Hollywood on what would have been Holly’s 75th birthday (September 7). Offering viewers a frontrow seat for this once-in-a-lifetime concert, Buddy Holly: Listen to Me – The Ultimate Buddy Party airs Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 7 p.m. on Eight, Arizona PBS.
A series of live and video tributes was featured throughout the show, including homages to Holly from Keith Richards, Ringo Starr, Jackson Browne, Brian Wilson, Pat Monahan (of Train), Imelda May and the one and only Eric Idle of Monty Python’s Flying Circus fame.
Peter Asher, producer of the Listen to Me: Buddy Holly album (and a music legend in his own right) is the evening’s host and music supervisor. He is joined by Chris Isaak as co-host and performer. Asher assembled an incomparable all-star “house-band” led by Waddy Wachtel — one of rock’s most acclaimed guitarists and musical directors. With their superb musicianship, the performers gave energized, sometimes moving, always modern, authentic and unique interpretations of Holly’s most enduring and iconic songs. Adding to the magic of this musical celebration are other friends and family from Buddy Holly’s life, including Maria Elena Holly and Phil Everly, making what may well be his last public musical appearance.
“Buddy showed us how brilliant and unforgettable songs could be written using the simplest of chords,” says Asher. “He taught us the value of a lyric which came from the heart and the importance of making records the way you heard them in your head. His music has never ceased to play a major role in my life and work.”
Buddy Holly: Listen to Me – The Ultimate Buddy Party features:
- “Crying, Waiting, Hoping” – Chris Isaak
- “Everyday” – Patrick Stump
- “Heartbeat” – Chris Isaak and Michelle Branch
- “I’m Looking for Someone to Love” – Lyle Lovett with James Burton
- “It Doesn’t Matter Anymore” – Paul Anka
- “It’s So Easy” – Stevie Nicks
- “Learning the Game” – Shawn Colvin
- “Listen to Me” – Raul Malo
- “Maybe Baby” – Boz Skaggs
- “Oh, Boy” – Patrick Stump
- “Not Fade Away” – Stevie Nicks
- “Peggy Sue” – Cobra Starship (Gabe Saporta and Victoria Asher)
- “Raining in My Heart” – Graham Nash
- “Rave On” – Boz Scaggs, Graham Nash and Peter Asher
- “That’ll Be the Day” – All-Star Cast
- “True Love Ways” – Raul Malo
- “Well All Right” – Lyle Lovett